Monday, October 8, 2012

Death Will Not Stop God's Work.


October 6, 2012: A brother, a son, a grandson, an uncle, a friend, a student, and so much more - all in one person- is gone in the blink of an eye. And lives are changed forever. 
On Saturday afternoon, one of Asbury's very own students, Jeff McMillan, collapsed on the soccer field and passed away. It was unexpected and a shock to everyone in the community and those who knew him. Even though I never met him, I can feel the effect he had and is continuing to have on Asbury's community. This morning our chapel service was dedicated to Jeff and I felt I got a chance to meet him - something I will never get to do on this earth. He left an impact and that is not difficult to see. Jeff is an inspiration to me, and I wanted to do something special for him, so I wrote this: 
            Jeff, I didn’t know you, but I know you made an impact on this world – our community especially. You will be missed. You have changed my mindset and I will be praying for the lives you have touched. I woke up Sunday morning thinking of your life and your sudden death. I have never had someone that I really know die, so you are the closest I have had. The ways that people are responding  are just proof that you lived a life that was good. You are with Jesus and I can’t help but imagine how perfect that must feel right now. I can’t stop thinking about your death. Did you wake up Saturday morning knowing that you were going to see Jesus in just a few hours? Did you have any idea? Were you "prepared"?
Death is so sudden. Life seems so short. And what was I doing when I heard the news that you died? I honestly don't want to say. I did so little that day that was worthy of God’s name. I did nothing to go out of my way to love or serve anybody. I don’t want to die doing something so meaningless. I don't want to approach the day of my death thinking "oh.. someday I will be that better person, someday I will serve God as I know I should, but I'm just tired today or I'm just not ready to let go of those things yet today". I don’t know when it will come, but I can try my best to live a life that I will be proud of leaving behind as my legacy. 
Rest in peace, Jeff. I pray that your life and death will leave a lasting imprint on our community and all of the lives you have touched and will continue to touch. I pray that we will not forget you. You may be gone, but your story will still go on as your legacy. Thank you for touching my life Jeff. I didn't even have to know you to be touched by you. Your life was powerful and death will not stop God from using you. 
Sincerely, 
Amelia

http://www.asbury.edu/news-events/news/2012/10/06/17266#.UHInRIbpLNM.facebook


1 comment:

  1. Amelia, That was beautiful, and as a family member who lost a young man far too early in life, I hope you will send a copy of your post to that family. Every time something like this passes his parent's eyes they can feel a deep encouragement that God is saying see - even this I am using to change lives.

    ReplyDelete